Sunday, March 10, 2013

Woman vs. Swedish Food

In honor of King Adolph Fredrik, I am taking up a food challenge.

On February 12, 1771, King Adolf dined on a luxurious dinner of caviar, lobster, smoked herring, sauerkraut, and champagne. Such a dinner didn't satisfy his appetite, so he added fourteen helpings of semlor with warm milk as well. It was his favorite dessert. Shortly thereafter, the king came down with stomach cramps and dizziness. A few hours later, King Adolf Fredrik passed away.

Portly King Adolf Fredrik of Sweden before his death by semla.
image from wikipedia.org

Some officials called for a ban on the baked good since it seemingly played a role in the death of a king. A contemporary to the king, Count Johan Gabriel Oxenstierna, a  proclaimed the king's death, "A most brilliant way to die." I concur.

I will attempt a similar feat in honor of the king who is remembered as the king who died eating semlor. He didn't do much during his time on the throne, so this is what most Swedes remember about him.

My personal challenge is on a slightly smaller scale.  I will eat two pounds of pytt i panna, a typical Swedish dish made from potatoes, meat, spices, and onions. After that, I will attempt to down eight semlor.

Yes, this is from Findus - the company in the middle of the horse meat scandal. The circular label on the left proclaims the meat to be 100% beef.

The finished pytt i panna and the eight semlor waiting in the background. MMM!

I don't doubt I'll be feeling the same stomach problems and dizziness before it's all over. As long as I don't die, I'll be alright. I do have a flight to catch tomorrow. And I intend to be there. But first, it's time to eat. Here's to you King Adolf Fredrik, the semla king!

2 comments:

  1. Chris says..."that's pretty legit. I love my sister. Who else would eat eight Semlor?!". Your mother thinks it's somewhat less legit and that you may have literal brain freeze from the Swedish weather. Tumsska anyone??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just needed an excuse to write about poor old King Adolf Fredrik. ;) You might be right about the brain freeze, though. I'm sure Chris would eat eight too if given the chance. He'd probably eat past me in a competition between us. I can't keep up anymore! I made it through four of the eight, which leaves me the other half for breakfast. Now, where did I put my tumsska?

      Delete