Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Goodbye Växjö. Hello Stockholm.

The skies are clear, the weather is warming up, and I'm in Stockholm. Can't beat it. My entire day consisted of a morning walk, a museum visit, a train ride to the capital, and a trip to the grocery store. So far, I haven't seen any of Stockholm yet, except the inside of a supermarket. There are a few unusual things to see there.


One of the main streets of Växjö in the morning.


These billboards are common across the country. Anyone can post a notice. This one is plastered with the events of just one club.


On the way to the Glass Museum and the Emigrant House


Swedish design can be a bit of a question mark.



Or it can be sleek and modern.


Or even futuristic and abstract.


Inside the Dream of America exhibit.


 Walking down Snus Street in the museum, a mock-up of a Swedish American street in Chicago.


New York that way... a long way that way.



It's already dark in Stockholm and I'm hungry. Supermarket trip! This supermarket is selling Bison from the USA.


OLW loves to play up on American stereotypes in its advertising and packaging.


One of three places in the supermarket where you can buy cheese. It's a major staple here.


Yum. Vacuum sealed fish.


 Frozen berries by the scoop.


Information! The semlor are near the front, people.


Super tasty cinnamon buns, which have their own day in Sweden in October. 4 for 25 means they're about a dollar each, which is a steal.



I've never seen these before. Canned sausage. Maybe like spam? I'm not willing to find out.


Ready to eat whole shrimp. Seafood is big everywhere since Sweden has so much coastline to fish. 


Hmm, wild boar, reindeer, or elk for dinner?


I'll take elk, thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I'm really quite certain that I would either starve to death or freeze to death. You're much more courageous than your mother!! Love the cool crystal...Swedish glass rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you saw all the Swedish crystal in the windows, I think you could manage. ;o)

      Delete
  2. The canned pilsner korv are merely hot dogs. Although they are edible they are way overpriced... Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't about to try the mystery meat. Even I have my limits. I suppose things are more expensive in Stockholm. It could account for the higher prices, that and it was in the city center.

      Delete