Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Travel Preppers

Taking a trip can be fun - and stressful. It's not the trip. It's the travel prep. It puts me over the edge at times. The planning, the organizing, the lists, the packing... I stress out about the big details ahead of time, which makes the week before take-off slightly crazy. Once I'm on the flight, I can finally relax and enjoy the trip. I'm almost relaxed. I'm almost to the gate. One more stressful day and I'm golden.

As a kid, travel is a magical thing. Your parents tell you about it and you go! There's no prep involved. Once you start taking your own trips, you begin worrying about things like the mail, your pets, your lawn, and the house springing a leak while you're gone. I'm happy to say I don't have to worry about my house running amok while I'm gone this time. My house sitter (ahem, stayer) is happy to take care of things, so long as my fridge is properly stocked. (Which could mean a trip out to get more stuff since it is slightly bare still, by the way. I haven't had time to properly fill it. Sorry! I'll bring back something really nice, I promise.)

Apart from the stuff that stays put, you have the stuff that goes with you. Considering this trip to Sweden is happening in winter, I've been running about getting wintry clothing. In Texas, this means finding all the "winter clothes" on clearance right next to the flip-flops and beach balls. True.

You also have the tech issues to think about. Phones, credit cards, power outlets are different. I had to hunt down a "chip and pin" credit card (aka EMV) for my trip since most of Europe now uses that system instead. Having such a card means being able to buy travel tickets from stand-alone kiosks without worry. And you find a lot of those in Sweden when you travel. American cards don't work in those machines - yet.

Another big prepper issue I've had is buying tickets for Melodifestivalen itself. The issue goes back to that American credit card thing. Apparently, Stateside cards are easier to use fraudulently, so many European merchants won't accept them online. This is a new thing since it wasn't a problem two years ago. I spent a good hour on the phone with two helpful ladies at the ticketing call center. They tried all they could to book tickets for me. Nothing worked, so I asked my friend Jessi to get them for me instead. Roundabout, yet highly effective. Tack Jessi!

I thought I would have another prepper tangle with paper sizes when I went to print out my tickets for the concerts. (Yes, even paper sizes are different.) I crossed fingers and tried to print. It didn't cut off the bar code  just a few advertisements. I can live with that.

I have a proper phone to use during my trip, so no worries there. Important too since that's how you vote in Melodifestivalen. You load that phone up with as much cash as it will take and vote until your fingers fall off - or your money runs out - whichever happens first. That's not standard protocol for most Swedes, by the way. They only vote once or twice. Me? Well, I have a lifetime worth of votes to cast. I think I'm entitled to a few (hundred) more votes.

And one more thing, bring the proper power adapters and converters. You don't want your hairdryer or phone or expensive electronic doodad to fry. Your outlet will vary depending on where you're headed in Europe, but Sweden runs on 220 v (and a healthy dose of coffee). Some expensive stuff has a converter built in, so you're good there. It's the adapter you'll need mostly. Adapters let your cord fit into the wall. Without it, your stuff is dead weight. Don't let that happen 'cause it's not fun dragging around extra stuff all over Sweden. Come to think of it, maybe that's how I lose weight while I'm there.

Which brings me to packing. I haven't packed yet. That will happen tomorrow a few hours before the flight. It gives me an excuse to shop at the airport when I forget that essential item at home. It's inevitable and I embrace it. Pack here. Buy there. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment