Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sara, the wannabe Swede

I have no ancestry no heritage, no relatives in Sweden. Most Americans have some type of connection whether it be family, or work, or history. I found a different type of connection instead. A connection to the country through my headphones. In 1994, Swedish music was all over the radio, much as it still is today. And it was this interest in Swedish music (and Ace of Base in particular) that caught my attention. It sparked my interest in Sweden and made me want to learn more, so I signed up as an exchange student for a year-long adventure. I picked up my luggage and moved out. I came back with a new language, a new outlook, and an enduring love for the country.



My exchange year is long over, but it established connections that will never end. I still take an active interest in all things Sweden and Swedish American. I help out at Swedish events in Texas. I take trips to see Swedish sights in America (Museums, towns, significant places). I subscribe to Nordstjernan, a Swedish newspaper in America publishing since 1872! I (im)patiently wait for the print version to arrive in my mailbox at home and read every page in every issue.

When I decided I would finally see Melodifestivalen in person, I contacted Nordstjernan about writing a blog for their site and newspaper. They were just as excited about the concept as I am. So, thank you to Nordstjernan for highlighting the blog and assisting along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment