Friday, February 15, 2013

My Favorite Artist of 2013

I try to find an artist to root for every year during the contest. It always makes the experience more exciting if you have someone to cheer for while you watch. This year my favorite is Terese Fredenwall, without a doubt.  

In 2010, Jenny Berggren from Ace of Base allowed some friends and me to tag along for a few days on her promo tour as she released her first solo album, My Story. Along the way, I met some of the people who helped her make the album a reality. I met Simon Petrén - an eminent  pianist, songwriter and producer whose musicianship helped take the album to another level. I also met Terese - a gifted singer, songwriter and guitarist who has the ability to stop time and capture the essence of that moment in a song.

The minute I saw Terese on stage in 2010, I knew she would rise to the top. I knew - along with everyone else in the audience. She has that something extra, that charisma about her and her work. We all sensed it and realized it was only a matter of time before she took her rightful place in the spotlight.

Terese made it into Melodifestivalen 2013 by already winning a national contest last August. She entered the competition with a song co-written by Simon Petrén called "Drop the Fight". The contest attracted almost 1,000 hopeful entrants. The artists were whittled down to 250 then to 25 and again to 8 for the final. At the end, Terese was the last one standing. Her prize was a place among the 32 Mello contestants.

Terese's winning contest entry "Drop the Fight":



Terese will sing a song called "Breaking the Silence" in Malmö during the fourth semifinal on February 23rd. It is an original composition created by her and fellow musician Simon Petrén written after she visited a prison. The song isn't online yet since all contest tracks are released only a few hours before each semifinal, per the official contest rules.

A rundown of all the artists currently in the competition will be posted in the next few days so you, too, can pick your favorite to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment