Saturday, February 23, 2013

Chilly Doesn't Begin to Explain


I'll say it. I'm cold. Really cold. I'm wearing everything I brought, yet it's not enough. I try to defrost myself every twenty minutes or so by stopping in a store. This could get expensive.

It's "only" 32 degrees (or 0 Celsius). It feels colder than that. It was snowing when I left the hostel this morning, although it's too warm to be sticking.

Before I left the hostel, a few of the German guests asked me how to properly spell a few words. They already knew, but they wanted to double check. One thing they wanted to say? It's very cold here. Even people who are used to similar weather think it's chilly.

Mostly frozen canal in the city. A few water patches still exist.

A water fountain, complete with frozen sculpture and seagulls.

An icy football field (soccer for you Americans!) 


I'm currently thawing out in a burger place called Max. It's the Swedish equivalent to McDonalds or Burger King except better, according to many Swedes. It opened in 1968 and has achieved a cult status similar to In-and-Out Burger in the US. You can order your meal through a kiosk and pick it up instead of standing in line. And you can pay with a credit card. Yes, my EMV card works here, too!

Order up in the express lane

Max Burger

With my pink sweater and Max burger - waiting for the final this evening.

4 comments:

  1. Gotta put that on my list too. Have never been to Max. Can you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Max is better than other fast food options. I chose it today because I had to eat on the run. The restaurant was bright, clean, and tidy. It beats McDonalds easily. And the prices aren't bad, either.

      Delete
  2. Cold straight up sucks. It's 75 here. I'll save some warm breezes for you. ;). Love, Mor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take 'em! I forgot my gloves and hat at the arena this evening. I have an extra hat with me. My knuckles already look like those of an Ultimate Fighter. They are red, chapped, cracked, and dry. Ouch, ouch! I'l need better gloves, clearly. This all makes me remember why Swedes love to vacation in Spain and Thailand.

      Delete