Monday, February 25, 2013

Officially Couchsurfing

I finally made it to Göteborg and have started my couchsurfing experience. Michael, who lives in the city, is hosting me during my stay. I arrived at his door a few hours ago and was promptly invited on a tour of his lovely home. Michael is a painter and his home reflects his profession. The colors are expertly applied and professionally coordinated.

We spent our first few hours chatting about Gothenburg, Melodifestivalen, Sweden, and the US. Michael came to Sweden in the early 90's and raised his family here. He speaks Swedish and is a citizen to boot. Being from LA, he loves Mexican cooking, which he misses. Trying to replicate the original recipes isn't always easy. Some ingredients like corn tortillas and habanero peppers are nonexistent. Michael is a creative guy though, so he mixes and matches flavors to come as close to the real deal as possible.

Michael is also quite thoughtful. He went to the library and checked out a mega-tome on the history of Melodifestivalen for me. It is packed with information. I'm getting an education in the song contest from a man who does not watch the show himself. You never know who might have new information waiting for you. Michael doesn't watch the contest regularly, but he does recall watching it when his son was a kid.



We also had an extensive chat about Sweden and the United States. We discussed everything from the weather and the music, to immigration and social services. We have several experiences in common such as having difficulties with the language even after all these years. His bookshelf looks just like mine: a mix of books on Sweden in both Swedish and English, along with dictionaries for both languages.

Right now, it's time for bed. I've got my own bed in the living room. Michael set out a mattress, covers, and a pillow for me and has given me my own private space so I can get a good night's sleep. 

Tomorrow, I'll head out to the Emigrant's House in Gothenburg and learn more about Swedish Immigration to the United States. Later on, I'll meet other Couchsurfers for a chat about the Mello results so far.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very nice and thoughtful guy. Glad to hear! Please let him know that he is welcome in Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very kind guy. I'm sure he would enjoy a visit to Texas with all the Mexican food we have. Well, Tex-Mex at least.

      Delete